Friday, February 20, 2009

diy: leg warmers and recent finds



after getting out of classes Wednesday i decided that i would make some leg warmers, i have been wanting some for awhile but they are too expensive in stores or on ebay, so, i have been thinking about making my own using an old sweater, the thing is though, i had trouble choosing a sweater in thrift stores to chop up

that day, however, i remembered this old sweater my great grandfather gave me, i loved the quirky feel of it but couldn't find a way for me to comfortably wear it, but if i cut off the sleeves and turned them into leg warmers i thought it would just be perfect for me without out being too over the top


the first thing i did is took the sweater and cut off both sleeves using fabric scissors


next, i turned the sleeves inside out, frayed checked the chopped off edges and then, using my sewing machine, i hemmed the edges of both sleeves (i suggest you sew them under so the unfinished edges do not show)


after that i tried them on and determined how much extra fabric there was around my leg, then using my sewing machine i sewed a line down where i thought i needed to cut off the fabric

after sewing the line i then chopped off the excess fabric and fray checked the edges (do this for both sleeves)

i turned my sleeves inside out again and then put them on so i could show off my new, original leg warmers!





also, here are a few things i found recently, i got both tops at a local vintage and used clothing store, the purse and pant hangers at an antique store, and the briefcase style bag at a local thrift store

i am so in love with the tops, i'm a sucker for plaid and the white one is so bohemian and just perfect for summer, the purse is gorgeous too and i'm going to use the pant hangers to display art, i think i may sell the briefcase on ebay over the summer if i don't end up using it, but it was too cute (and cheap) to pass up


best wishes <3

No comments:

Post a Comment